Ficklish Blog

Thursday, June 21, 2007

Kicking back...

So! Warm greetings from London’s most idle and indolent lady of leisure. I am a couple of weeks into my involuntary (though not unwelcome) period of unemployment and do you know what I’ve been up to?

Absolutely nothing.

I have long suspected that my capacity for sloth approaches infinity. When I have a normal work/play schedule, I dream of having entire days at my disposal in which to accomplish the many projects and goals that live as wee fond dreams in my heart. So, then, when given just what I asked for, do you know how much I get done? Yeah.

I sleep a lot. I read, watch movies, read endless amounts of trash on the interwebs. This website doesn’t help. (A warning: don’t go there. You will lose hours. Days, even). I do lots of laundry, I cook dinner for my housemates and my friends. I become almost completely nocturnal: awake all night, sleeping during the day. The weather has been lovely and warm – and it’s light until 10pm so there are many long pleasant evenings spent sipping sangria on the balcony before retiring.

I am often asked ‘but don’t you get BORED?’. No, I don’t! That’s the whole point. I mean, maybe I will someday – but I have not yet reached that point in two solid weeks of loafing and I can’t see it happening anytime soon.

I venture out into the world at least once a day – and have discovered a whole community of people who are free to roam the streets during daylight hours. They’re friendly folks: on my walk back from the tube station last week I was chatted up twice – and only one of those was a charity worker trying to get me to sign up for a direct debit donation.

I have joined our local library. It’s just like I remember – that dry, dusty smell, the brightly coloured posters on the wall advertising community initiatives, kids chattering and elderly folk moving slowly along the aisles. I love it. I take my library bag, fill it up, head home and dive in. I feel greedy, taking too many books – and so each time so far I’ve put some back in case other people might want them. I can always go back, I’ve got time.

Apparently I am craving stimulation on some level: the other night, I decided I wanted to go out onto our balcony during a patch of heavy rain. Instead of going to fetch my umbrella, I fashioned a poncho out of a rubbish bag and used a salad bowl for protective headgear. Sadly, there is no photographic evidence of this endeavour. However, it worked a treat and provided at least ten minutes’ worth of entertainment for my fellow Pickles. And me.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn you JLo!!! Naturally I clicked on the hyperlink and now i'm screwed!!! Good thing I don't have a life....

1:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If that boredom does kick in eventually - and that work visa doesn't come through - there's this super-exciting election thing happening in Queensland soon (and maybe in the rest of Australia too, so I'm told). I'm sure nothing would thrill your spirit more and jam-pack your day with fun and fulfilment than spending weeks convincing the electors of Queensland how to make best use of their Senate vote.

11:55 AM  
Blogger Jackie said...

The Queenslanders of this fine nation may also need some help understanding where their preferences should lie for the House of Representatives...

Hey jLo, your time sounds fabulous. Your writing is v. chilled. Hurrah! As an inveterate day roamer, I know exactly what you mean. But I don't get chatted up by strangers or charity workers. It maybe the muttering puts them off.

2:51 AM  
Blogger jLo said...

RBDub: I TOLD you, didn't I?!

AB, that is a most excellent proposal - I assure you that if they knock me back, I'll be on the next plane. Even if they do let me stay, however, you'll be pleased to note that the campaigning is underway: my family and friends are lined up, and I'm there's a Queenslanders in London demographic that is begging for guidance.

Jacks, the muttering is more alluring than you think....

1:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home