Ficklish Blog

Thursday, April 13, 2006

It´s Who You Know

Hola, all - I´ve arrived in Alcudia, on the northwest (?) tip of Mallorca. It´s a small port town surrounded by rocky mountains, and it´s indescribably beautiful. I´m so lucky to be here - another random chance meeting that has led to something awesome.

Getting here was quite the adventure - seventeen hours of fun, let me tell you. The ferry that spent most of last week broken turned out to be a giant rustbucket named Don Pedro filled with screaming children. They´re lucky they lasted the night. When we arrived (finally) I disembarked in a daze and promptly boarded what I thought was a shuttle bus to the ferry terminal. To my delight, I soon discovered that I was aboard a charter coach that was depositing Spanish tourists to a resort in a town about twenty minutes in a direction exactly opposite to where I needed to go. I made my slow way back to Palma and got on the right bus (I really need to learn some proper Spanish, this is getting ridiculous) and finally made it across to here.

(Forgive the dodgy grammar in that paragraph, I haven´t slept yet).

The house is great, I have the best guest bedroom (and my own bathroom!). Steve, thanks mate, you´re a good bloke to know. I´m going to have a very, very nice Easter.

I wanted to briefly record a couple of highlights of my last days in Valencia:

- Finally going to see a flamenco performance at a local bar. I´m so glad I did - it was outstanding. Rhythmic and passionate, haunting and intense. The pictures I took are so dreadful I won´t be able to post them, but rest assured it was a most excellent evening.

- Getting to show a lovely new friend (hey, Erin!) around Valencia. It was nice to be the one in the know for a change.

- Going all Mediterraneo on the beach and sunbathing topless! Not for long, mind, but still. Tick that one off the list.

- Having the most spectacular farewell meal cooked for me by the lovely Ville - I went to the market yesterday morning and bought fresh salmon, and he cooked it up into a feast I won´t soon forget. Thanks, mate. I do have pictures of that, stay tuned.

It was hard to say goodbye to Valencia, but you know what? I have a sneaking feeling I won´t be gone for long. For now, happy Easter, you guys - I hope you have a great weekend. I´m off to explore some mountains and some beaches.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jackie said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:00 AM  
Blogger Jackie said...

Awesome, awesome, awesome. What a lovely time-of-your-life you are having, setting yourself well up to continue having times-of-your-life at all times-of-your-life. If you know what I mean. Meanwhile Ed and I have a brief respite from editing which has given me scope to get my hair cut in two different ways on each side of my head by my youthful gay hairdresser who assures me it's a really hot do (this same guy just described to me the leather outfit he is going to wear tonight to an all-men leather dance party - briefs, a red diagonal over the shoulder strap, and three judiciously placed leather bands on various parts of his body). Mazza took one look and said diplomatically "it looks good from the back...". Looking forward to a weekend of transcribing and shopping and imagining what life would be like at a slow Spanish pace on the Mallorcan coastline...enjoy it for the team dude, lotsalove!

4:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoy it for the team

Yeah, you're really taking a hit for the team, jLo. I suppose somebody had to do it.

1:11 PM  
Blogger Jackie said...

Hurrah! Hurrah! Mazza has finally accepted her almost unsettlingly perfect nickname! AND started blogging under it to boot! Bookmanoldstyle, I too feel like this Flicklish blog has just turned into a rowdy pub session of old bar flies. Go Mallorca, go topless bathing, go intercontinental blogging!

12:20 AM  
Blogger jLo said...

Hee hee, you guys are the awesome.

Welcome, Mazza! So good to see you, and your pseudonym suits you very well. I am reading between the lines and have deduced that, in fact, you absolutely hate J,The´s new haircut.

Please, will someone send me a photo?!

I was remembering our camping trip last year over the weekend, too, BOS... I miss you guys!

Ed, it´s a tough job but soneone´s got to do it.

Talk to you guys soon.

8:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home