Ficklish Blog

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

How's it going, China?

I learned to my delight today* that apparently this website cannot be accessed from China. I realise that it is entirely possible that all blogger sites are blocked universally - and, let's be honest, would that really be such a significant loss? Would you miss blogger if it disappeared tomorrow?

I choose to believe, however, that it is the tale of endless Western consumerist decadence chronicled on this specific page that has aroused the ire of Chinese censors. It was imperative that they block ficklish in order to protect the revolution. I mourn for the Chinese folk googling frantically about what life is like for an Australian woman in London who will never find the answers they seek.

I realise, of course, that I should make a very serious point about the evils of censorship here, and the importance of FREEDOM, so here it is: censorship is BAD and freedom to read pointless websites about people who drink too much and gallivant about contributing little to society is GOOD. The end.

*Special thanks to AZ who, for reasons I will never understand, is wasting precious moments of his adventure of a lifetime in China in order to try to access my blog. Step AWAY from the computer, dude - according to all available intelligence, the internet will still exist when you get home. But thanks for letting me know, you've made my day.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

In my defense, I wasn't wasting time. I as meely waiting for a minibus to come and collect my group. We had ten minutes up our collective sleeve, and there was a vacant internet terminal in the guesthouse we were waiting at; it was a slow news day at the SMH, so I thought I would check out a site far more worthy, only to discover - much to my disapointment - that it was blocked. ... so needless to say that I'm rather delighted to be in a country where the principle of 'freedom of speech' allows me to read blogs - even if the law doesn't allow me (or anyone else*) to protest peavefuly outside the Palace of Westminster.
(* except - as I discovered this evening - for the dude who has been continually protesting the Iraq war outside the Houses of Parliament since before the law was enacted. As the law wasn't retrospective, [whatever were they thinking?!] it doesn't apply to him. This does however mean that he can't discontinue his protest or he won't be allowed back),

12:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home